Utilizing the Towing Capability of your Riding Mower
One of the many great advantages of owning a Lawn Tractor (or Riding Mower) is their amazing towing capabilities. You can basically ‘hitch’ (or hook-up) anything you want to tow behind your Lawn Tractor as you cut the grass. If you currently own a Lawn Tractor (or you a looking to purchase one), you already know how extremely convenient towing options are when mowing the lawn.
BUT, before you go ‘hooking up’ the biggest thing you can possibly find to the back of your lawn tractor, you need to know the exact Lawn Tractor towing capabilities* your machine has. Otherwise you may end up damaging your precious riding mower. (*A manufacturer’s recommended towing capacity of a Lawn Tractor can typically be found in the operator’s manual)
However, there are certain guidelines you should always abide by when operating your Lawn Tractor which will ensure that you always use your machine safely and also help improve the towing capacity of your Riding Mower. We have outlined these important guidelines for you below. We have also provided you with some useful ideas of how to utilize your Lawn Tractor so you can gain the most out of these time saving machines.
- To ensure safe and proper operation of your Lawn Tractor, you should only tow objects that weigh no more that the total weight of your machine. Towing heavy object will affect the braking, steering and acceleration of your Lawn Tractor. Most machines will actually have much stronger towing capabilities to tow heavier objects BUT you should always make sure you remain in total control of your lawn tractor at all times.
- Towing capabilities will differ depending on certain aspects such as the type of terrain the Lawn Tractor is being used on. If the ground is wet, with a steep gradient, uneven, etc. then this will heavily impact the towing capabilities of your Lawn Tractor. Extra Care should always be taken when towing objects and operating a Riding Mower on uneven or rugged terrain.
- Be aware your machine will operate differently when towing objects. When towing any heavy objects behind a Lawn Tractor, you should always be aware of which gear your machine is in and how you are operating the machine. You may have navigated a particular terrain many times before BUT make sure you stay conscious to the fact that driving capabilities become affected whenever you tow anything behind your Lawn Tractor.
How to Utilize the Towing Capabilities of a Lawn Tractor
One of the best ways to utilize the towing capacity and capabilities of your Lawn Tractor is to use one of the many extra attachments that can be used with a Lawn Tractor (or Riding Mower). There are a variety of different Lawn Tractor attachments available such as a:
- Tow Behind Leaf and Lawn Vacuum
- Wood Chipper Shredder
- Tow Behind Field and Brush Mowers
- Tow Behind Trimmer Mowers
- Log Splitters
- Plug Aerator
- Power Graders
- Towable Stump Grinders
- Snow Blower
- + more (depending on the manufacturer of your Lawn Tractor).
Want to learn more about DR Leaf and Lawn Vacs?
Order your FREE Buyer's Guide & DVD!
- 24-Page Buyer's Guide
- Action-Packed DVD
- Money-Saving Promotions